So its summer. The magical time of the year when we realize that our bodies will not take care of itselves and massively thinking about going to the gym on a daily basis is not quite the same as actually making an effort.
Now we are stuck with two options:
A: contemplating the possibility of avoiding any public appearance above 30 degrees or
B: making the best out of what we’ve got…
(Sure you could also start a diet and work out 8 times a week – starting from tomorrow. In which case you bare all my support! :))
Since I can’t afford to lose any more friends I think I’m gonna go with plan B and I begun to seek some advice from leading stylists of how to take those extra pounds off and dress myself skinny.
Here is what I’ve found:
- Go monochrome: Matching your top and bottom or wearing a monochrome dress will create a defined silhouette hence will make you look thinner. Wearing all black is well known to make you instantly classy and skinny. But you don’t need to get too hang up on funeral chic as all monochromatic outfits will work just fine. Even white which will also make you look rich according to some. But only if you are a women or dress like a women. If you are men, with an all white outfit you will sail dangerously close to an 80s Modern Talking look. In which case you will have bigger problems than those extra pounds.
- Proportion is key: Always accentuate your thinner parts with more form-fitting items and wear looser ones on your, well looser parts 🙂 Some ideas: wide legged pants with a fitted top, mini skirt with a longer top, skinny shorts with a loose fitting T-shirt.
- Choose a longer outer layer. Short cardigans and jackets tend to make the torso seem shorter while longer ones that reach down to mid-thighs will elongate your body. Light cardigans for warmer weather or a trench for cooler days will do the trick.
- Elongate your torso with a long necklace or a V-neck shirt.
- Wear heels: This one is kind of a no brainer. A couple of extra inches will change the proportions of your body and will not only make you look taller but thinner as well. Pair heels with anything and tuck in your shirt.
- Choose the right belt. Use a wider belt, they make you thinner than skinny ones. Use the skinny ones when you only need the functionality of the belt, but don’t want it to show.
- Invest in a V-neck dress with a belt in a neutral colour. It looks perfect on almost every body type and will take you from day to night. (Classic wrap dresses are popular for a reason. Thanks to Madamme Furstenberg! 🙂
- Try to avoid prints, but if you go for them keep in mind: The smaller the print the smaller you’ll look. Large floral prints might be the rage this season but I’d strongly recommend to think twice about them.
- Anything that cuts you off at the waist adds pounds. Be mindful of where your top meets your bottoms. You’ll look smaller if they meet just below the waist.
Do you have any more tricks of dressing skinny?
Please leave in the ‘Comments’